AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Building on the solid foundations of
Amiga OS 4.1 introduces a wealth of substantial new functionality which is a
prerequisite for the deployment of industry standard applications on the
State-of-the-art applications such as modern web-browsers, productivity
software or digital imaging software typically operate on large datasets
with a corresponding memory footprint which rapidly outstrips the physical
memory of any computer system. AmigaOS 4.1 offers intelligent memory
paging and uses transparent disk based memory - but only when you need it.
Sophisticated media content creation packages, multimedia applications such
as video players and 3D games have sparked a revolution in storage technology
with hard-drive capacities now reaching the terabyte range. AmigaOS 4.1
introduces an all new filesystem, JXFS, the fastest and most robust filesystem
available for the Amiga platform, with support for drives and partitions of
Graphics cards too have become increasingly powerful and versatile.
AmigaOS 4.1 implements 3D hardware accelerated Porter/Duff image
composition which is deeply integrated into the system. The upside is not
only that the AmigaOS 4.1 user-interface offers unprecedented functionality
and customization options such as transparent windows with arbitrary shapeSAM460exs.
The use of a compositing engine also results in totally flicker-free
Building on this compositing engine is AmigaOS 4.1's implementation of the
"Cairo" device-independent 2D rendering library which has become
a de facto industry standard and is used in applications as diverse as
Firefox 3, Java/ClassPath's SWING and even Open Office.
With these new features, AmigaOS 4.1 paves the way for countless exciting
possibilities for the Amiga platform. Indeed, AmigaOS 4.1 is not only
the most advanced Amiga OS incarnation to date, it is also the best way to
reacquaint yourself with times when computing was fun!
A non-exhaustive list of key new functionality of AmigaOS 4.1:
- Intelligent memory paging
- Hardware compositing engine (Radeon R1xx and R2xx family)
- Implementation of the "Cairo" device-independent 2D rendering library
- Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) support for greater digital camera compatibility
- JXFS filesystem with the support for drivers and partitions of multiple terabyte size
- Improved Workbench functionality
- New and improved DOS functionality (full 64 bit support, universal notification support, automatic expunge and reload of updated disk resources)
- Improved 3D hardware accelerated screen-dragging
- Reworked AmiDock with true transparency
- Reworked Warp3D Radeon drivers with new functionality
- And much, much more.